Tuesday, December 19, 2006

portrait of the artist as a bit of a mope

There are three things I always look for in a restaurant: good food, a convivial atmosphere and bartenders who know the meaning of a generous pour. And if, after several such generous pours they let me scribble on the table, so much the better.

I've been thinking a lot about portraits lately ~ the act of creating them, the role of the artist in rendering an individual according to a particular perception, and especially (and I cannot emphasize this enough, people) the responsibility of the sitter to at least try and resemble the painting.

I recently finished reading The Portrait by Iain Pears and highly recommend it. Told completely in the form of a monologue delivered by an artist to his subject, an ex-friend turned mortal enemy, it is at once a thriller and a fascinating exploration of the balance of power in the relationships between artist and critic, society and art, and how these dynamics play out in the realm of an intense, almost obsessive friendship. At first put off by the prospect of the single focus narrative, I found could not put it down.

And I've been trying to work on a portrait of my mother. My goal was to convey her spritely spirit by using an off-kilter angle and clear, bright colors without the darkening influence of shadow in order to create a stylized and playful image. To communicate joy without falling off the edge into sentimentality. But I'm a little unsure of my ground here. So far, what I have managed to communicate is, Help! My daughter needs art lessons.

Normally I do not fret about failure in art. As I've said before, I am a terrible but enthusiastic painter. This isn't false modesty; I really don't mind my lack of prowess as much as you would think. And that's only a little bit of a cop-out.

But mostly I'm all about the process. And since I rarely expect anything to turn out well, I get to be thrilled when something turns out to be very nearly the image as originally conceived. Failure in art is never truly a loss and always an opportunity to learn. No one failed who didn't try, no one learned who didn't fail.

That said, however, in this case I feel like I've let Mom down. Foolish and sentimental I know, but there it is.

I keep reminding myself that the art of portraiture takes many forms. Even a single page search of 'portraits' on artnet is a study of the myriad approaches people have taken in rendering the individual as subject matter. It may be expressive and primarily about color and space. It may be a psychological exploration of personalities and relationships, or a technical examination of texture, pigment and tone. It might be all of the above, or something else entirely.


In part, I've been painting my mother as a meditation, trying to channel her spirit and keep her with me in the process. I am a skeptic in matters of extrasensory perception, psychic activity, the alleged chattiness of wandering souls and the idea of life after death in general. But Mom was a believer in such things and I confess to wanting, against all reason and hope, to summon her to me. Magic thinking. It's embarrassing to admit, but at times I find myself whispering, as I try to capture a light in her eye or the line of her cheek, "Where are you, Mom?" I dare her to come see me. Prove me wrong. She'd like that. Oh, how we'd laugh...

In the end, of course, it's just paint on canvas. I knew that. I know that. But the meditation itself brings peace and focus and for me that will have to be enough. The picture will reveal it's own truths. As for achieving an actual likeness well, possibly not. But then that's why Daguerre invented the photograph. And for everything else, there's a memory card.

4 comments:

Lisa :-] said...

Your last pargraph got me. I had the same thoughts about my dad yesterday...wishing that I could summon him, feel him, instead of just missing him. Unlike your mother, he was not a believer in such things. So if a magical spiritual cntact should occur, he would be as surprised as I would.

Do whatever makes her feel close to you, Gig... (((hugs)))

Paul said...

Just about the only thing in the world we disagree on is your level of talent. I am a big fan.

You know that I also am a skeptic. But after my father died and the Grammy went to assisted living, I bought their house and did it over, room by room. One day I was sitting in the living room wondering how he'd have liked the changes. His ship's clock, silent for more than ten years, suddenly chimed. It ran for one day and stopped again.

Cynthia said...

I think your assessment of your talent is seriously off. Like Paul, I'm a big fan. You know that I believe in an afterlife, but contact with those who have died...well, I'm skeptical and still wish-ful. I know that about a month ago on a day when I couldn't get Dad out of my mind, I was sitting in his recliner, and I kept smelling his aftershave. Now, he died a couple of years ago. His old recliner has occupied a corner in my cluttered office since then and by rights should smell like dust and cats. Was it a nudge saying I love you or just my nose and memory conspiring? I don't know, but the meditation and memories were invaluable.

Kathleen said...

So, we are not alone in asking "where are you, mom?" (Dad)
My daughter made me promise that when I die we will have devised a specific way of communicating. I have suggested that I will be in the ocean each time she sits by the shore. She wants something more concrete, a door opens or a cup falls off the table. We are still working on it.