Tuesday, July 03, 2007

orange lanterns

"Orange is red brought nearer to humanity by yellow."
~ Wassily Kandinsky


I painted these Japanese lanterns from an ad ripped out of a magazine some time ago. I was trying to work on getting some intensity from my watercolors without letting them get thick and muddled, as is my wont. And because I just thought that they were pretty. The days are so wretchedly hot now ~ I can't bring myself to work outside, and oils are too messy for the available space indoors. So maybe underwatercolor is a good place for me to be. It sounds so cool and refreshing.

But not yet. Tomorrow I leave for Houston, where I'll be enjoying the same heat I'm sweltering in here, only Texas style, with higher hair and humidity. Which means that I'll be sweating and swearing like a cowgirl for the next ten days or so. If I survive, see you when I get back. If not, stay cool. In fact, stay cool anyway. I need to hit the gym and go pack my good jeans. Maybe I'll catch you later. Underwater...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want that. Framed. In my studio.

Robbie said...

I am so loving that you are sharing your arty self again.


"cussing like a cowboy" You found me out! That's the only reason I go to Texas on a yearly basis. ;-)

Have a safe trip. Eat biscuits and gravy. Hmmm...to hot. Ah...I know. Drinks lots of Sangria!

MzAmy said...

am I the only one that when I try to read your entries....they vanish?

I keep having to scroll up then down for them to appear again.

strange.
anyway...enjoy that Texas heat!
I wouldn't....I like my mild washington weather. :)

and those lanterns...superb! I thought they were peeled tangerines when they first popped up. lol. they are really pretty....I have tried watercolor.
you have to be so precise with just enough water, working at the layers of colors and the focus of your light source. yikes.

but, if you do it right (like you) the end product is so beautiful.
you know...those are my colors.
my apartment is 'saffron layers' as I call it. with oriental touches here and there. or whatever....

anyway...rambling here. sorry.

you sell your stuff??