Thursday, September 20, 2007

geek like me

I have just spent the last 2 or 3 hours of the last 2 or 4 days, of the last 3 or 5 weeks of the past 6 or 7 months online with tech support. I do mean every flavor of tech support: Microsoft, Dell, hp customer service; AT&T sbc. The Af of L CIO; SPCA, PETA, FICA, Fema, Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers. As you can see, I am giddy with enlightenment.

So here, in the last 5 minutes of the total 15 minutes of online time that I have managed today I offer everything that I have learned in this, my 8 month, give or take, long tutorial.

There was nothing all that much wrong with my old computer, except perhaps that it was a little slow and old. Now, after a clean reinstall it's running well enough to service all the web browsing, intel needs of Homeland Security. And probably every bit as secure.


There is nothing wrong with my new Hewlett Packard computer. Nor the new Vista program with which it came burdened, I mean bundled. There is, of course, something very wrong with me. I too am a little slow, a little old. And came bundled with a pointlessly enigmatic operating system.

There is nothing wrong with my AT&T dsl service. No one really knows why I cannot get or stay connected on a consistent basis. It's inexplicable, like Paris Hilton or gay Republicans. Whatever the problem is, it is nothing that constantly 'refreshing' the setting and turning on and off the modem and security programs will not cure. I am told.


Most of all, I have learned that the good people of Upper Supportekiztahn are an uncommonly hardworking and almost pathologically polite bunch; so much so that I fear armed guards are standing by ready to pistol whip the first person who fails to assure me that none of this is my fault. Truly, their patience in the face of some staggering technical ignorance is nothing short of heroic, and I will hear nothing against them. As I learned from my good friend Joseph at...well, I'm not really sure which support service anymore; to be frank, by now I'm pretty much dialing random numbers and asking for help. The fire department was nice, although Mrs. McNulty got decidely testy.

Anyway, I discovered I was calling Joseph at 2:00am his time, which was close to the end of his shift. From his (undisclosed) office location he was planning to take the company transport for the 1 1/2 hour ride home.


At around 10:00 am he would leave for the university, where he is studying for a degree in something called 'commerce'. Afterwards, he would make the 1 1/2 hour journey back to work, there to spend long hours on the phone telling people like me to turn off their modems; click on 'run'; open Control Panel and reset the winsock; input number 192.247.01.1.7239...

Honestly, in this day and age I feel I should be able to get online just by clicking my heels three times and saying "there's no place like home." I'm willing to do a little chanting. That's it.

Waiting for my computer to reboot, Joseph and I discuss my desire to visit the Taj Majal, which he encourages, although he seems mystified by my interest in the River Ganges. I hope, even as I say it, that the Ganges is actually in India. Suddenly, I feel so American.

The next day I learned from my friend Guarven that August 15th is India's Independence day ~ I could hear the party in the background. Last Tuesday I learned from Dawn that yes, the Ganges is in fact in India, and that no one in tech support is ever allowed to reveal the exact location of their offices. How very Cheneyesque, I thought, although I did not mention this to Dawn. I think Joseph would have gotten it, though ~ oh, how we would have laughed! I find myself missing Joseph. I wonder what his number is.


Sorry ~ didn't mean to ramble on so, although of course it's not my fault. (*Note to self; call tech support for rewrite.) I think the problem's fixed now. Thank god summer's over. Time for this geek to go outside and play.

7 comments:

Robbie said...

OMG!!! YASF Funny! If you don't figure out the 'yasf' give Joseph a call.

I've never used dsl but my suggestion to make it stop inexplicably disconnecting is to tell Dawn or Joseph that the cable people in Canada told you that switching to cable would stop the disconnects permanently. :-)

P.S. Besides not telling you their exact locations, they're not telling you their real names either. :-D

Cynthia said...

Hilarious! I think I might have spoken with Joseph a time or two myself. I think I'm going to have to steal that line about the pointlessly enigmatic operating system.

Lisa :-] said...

I knew you were in for it when you got a new computer with Windows Vista... I wouldn't touch that operating system with a ten-foot pole.

Be that as it may, I have to tell you that my laptop (equipped with Windows XP) WILL NOT connect to the internet on my cable modem at work, and no one has been able to figure out why. I have given up on the thing...

neil said...

Just think, Indians could be really running the world by getting everyone to insert and execute code that gives them control over everything, including you and me. God, I love a good conspiracy theory.

Paul said...

Joseph knows that the Ganges is used for drinking water, sewerage, and human burial (the corpses are often devoured by gavials).This form of multi-tasking is not recommended.

Anonymous said...

I know it's a little late for this, but honey, you should just suck it up and switch to a Mac. You could probably, with a minimum of effort, program it to turn on and connect to the internet by clicking your heels together three times and saying "there's no place like home". It would then make you a nice cup of tea, and tell you not to worry, everything will be fine.

freeepeace said...

I'm roaring with laughter through the basins of my "undisclosed" corporate day job office.

No one could have expressed this scenario better than you! I'm totally there - where ever "there" is.

Happy New Year!