Thursday, October 25, 2007

they call the winds Santa Ana



The 16 firestorms that have been sweeping California are for the most part under control, and we were extremely fortunate in that we were never in any danger. Today the skies maintain an eerie orange cast and the air has the acrid stench of smoldering destruction. This quickie video was taken with my trusty little Canon Elph over the back patio three days ago, when the hot, dry winds were blowing 50 to 80 miles an hour through the canyons, ripping a heavy canvas off the (closed) umbrella, knocking down potted plants and trees and generally rocking the walls of the house.

To his endless credit, Hootie the Plastic Guard Owl (who ain't never caught a rabbit but is still a friend of mine) never left his post. He remains there to this day, intimidating not even the most skittish of bunnies and reptiles.

Later things got really hairy.



6 comments:

Robbie said...

Wow! That's intense. Um...I thought owls were there to chase away birds like pigeons not rabbits. Bugs, the whaskly wabbit that he is is smarter than that.

neil said...

The Santa Ana sounds kinda eerie, like a never ending express train in a hurry to get to its destination. We had our fires last year, don't they seem to be getting worse? Hope everyone pulled through there.

Lisa :-] said...

Eighty-mile-an-hour winds. Cripes, even without the fires, that would have scared the crap out of me.

Tie yourself to something very heavy....

Paul said...

Your little backyard retreat hasn't been threatened like ythis since the Attack of the Flower-beheading Neighbor.

daringtowrite said...

Fierce!

MzAmy said...

I remember the Santa Ana winds.
impatiant pushy force that it is.

I did wonder about you, and my other CA journalists, how things
were for you. I'm glad your all still posting, at least I know you still have your homes.

I tried to comment before, but things just were not working.
I blame it on the winds.
:)