Sunday, June 15, 2008

not-so-deep thoughts

Yesterday I had that rare gem of a thing ~ a whole day to myself in which to do absolutely nothing. No deeds to do, no promises to keep. And nothing is exactly what I did. Well, I did do some painting but it didn't go very well and amounted to little, so I'm pretty sure that counts as nothing. It generally does.

Turk and I had been playing host to an old friend from Boston for the past several days, and it has flown by in a haze of good food, decent wines and better beers.

We ambled through family photographs online, indulging liberally in memories and laughter. We took in a movie; Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Meth, I believe it was. We gave it three thumbs meh (pro forma, light on plot).

Turk grilled up a mess o' pork ribs, which he burnt beyond recognition. Our friend took us to lunch. We all went to the beach and ate watching the sun go down. One day we hit the local sports pub and debated the relative merits of the White Sox v Cubs with a Long Beach couple who had recently returned from Chicago.
We went to the mall; Alex shopped for a birthday present for his wife, while I scored an adorable top at the Guess store for $21.99, marked down from the original $80. It was even my size, which is good because I would probably have bought it anyway. I generally do. And just when I thought life couldn't get any better, it did.

My friend debugged my computer. He took on the dread Demon of Darkness that is Vista, and 3 hours later emerged from the guest room bloodied but victorious, triumphantly holding a printed piece of paper aloft like the head of a slain enemy. The beast has been bested. And I can print again.

What can I say? Life is good. Life is very good.

6 comments:

Paul said...

So...serviced by a Bostonian, but singing the 59th Street Bridge Song?

Lisa :-] said...

RE no deeds to do: How many people (besides paul) would you expect to recognize those lines.

OMG...we is all old.

However...how nice is it to be able to print again? Our thanks to the noble Bostonian.

freeepeace said...

wait. so do you have XP again? Or did he just kill Vista's printing demon?

Three thumbs meh! Love it.

Sounds like the perfect Saturday afterall.

Let us know when you're up for a night of tequila and a gaggle of giggles.

Robbie said...

Yeah for besting beasts!!!

Now, what was it that you needed that printer for? :-)

neil said...

Oh sweet Jesus, hooray!!!

Sydney said...

I LOVE this painting!!!!!!!!