Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I feel like a number

Diets tend to make one obsessively numbers oriented, and for the past couple of weeks they've been much on my mind. It occurs to me that my entire life has been recorded, at least at one level, as little more than a series of weights and measures which I have allowed to create my identity as a woman and which continue to influence how I feel about myself today. I thought I was smarter than that.

I am not. I can still recall how much I weighed at varying points in my personal history with a precision lacking in any other aspect of my life. I can't remember my cell number or the name of my last dentist, but I can tell you that
I was 15 years old and 130 lbs when Seventeen magazine and the family doctor informed me that 130 was too fat for a teenager of my (disappointing) 5' 4" height. I had thought I was taller than that.

The doctor went on to tell me that if I kept it up at this rate I would be extremely overweight by the time I was 30. I wasn't exactly sure what he meant by 'extremely', but I knew that the idea of being 30 at all sounded terrifying enough. I can tell you that I went on a diet that summer and lost 16 lbs, thrilled that I weighed 114 lbs on my 16th birthday and vowing that I would weigh the same on every birthday for the rest of my life.

I did not keep that vow. And I never shall.

When my first boyfriend broke up with me at age 18 I starved myself down to 107; when my second broke up with me 2 years later I only managed a to whittle my frame down to a paltry 108. I took this to mean that my love for him was not as great as it had been for the first, a realization that added just enough regret to help me achieve a dangerously waifish 105. T
he self-induced pain of hunger masked the inflicted anguish of rejection. It felt good, regaining physical control as I imagined myself being devoured from the inside out, literally and emotionally. In the meantime, I assuaged my misery with an endless supply of whiskey sours, Virginia Slims, and Gloria Gaynor belting out I Will Survive on the jukebox at 25 cents a play. Disco Saves.

Sadly, over the years I grew accustomed to breakups and they could no longer be used as a reliable means of weight control. I learned to exercise. After I got married and the threat of a breakup became, although not impossible certainly, at least less frequent, I found that happiness was just another way of saying that I had to work out more. I thought I was more sensible than that.

5.77 miles in 45 minutes on the Precor burns about 400.02 calories, which means I'll have to do at least 2.15 miles on the tread at a rate of 4.0 mph to burn a total of 600 calories. But 45 minutes on the elliptical can vary between 5.75 and 6.35 miles depending on the pace and hits about 500 calories, meaning I can cut the tread to about 1 to 1.25 miles to burn the 600 and create a nice even mileage total as well, only if I do 6.35 miles precor I'll probably have to do 1.75 tread because I feel guilty if I do less than 1 and hate to stop at a number like 1.65 because it's so close to the end of the lap at 1.75. 1.67 is sometimes OK because it's 1 1/3, which seems more of an accomplishment and less of a wimp-out than 1 1/2, and represents approximately 7-10 additional calories; again, depending on the pace and ratio to vertical incline.

There are 104 calories in one baked potato and 200 in 2 tablespoons of butter; 30 in a cup of broccoli; 300 in a can of tuna packed in oil; 110 in a glass of Chardonnay but I like a large glass, more like 140 or so and after 2 who's counting anyway? Not I, surely. But the cardiac/sculpt instructor says it takes a deficit of 3600 calories to lose 1 pound; by cutting out 100 calories a day it will take 36 days to lose 1 pound. 36 days x 26 pounds = 936 days to achieve this particular Fitness Fetish goal, or 468 days if cutting 200 and there goes my glass of wine.

Bored? Yeah, me too.
I thought I was more interesting than that.

And of course, it all adds up to little in the end. I will be no more or less loved, less engaged in the world, no more or less likely to have left a lasting impression on the lives of the people I care about.
It is a tale told by a chubby idiot, full of math and fury, signifying nothing.


What Number Are You?


You Are 5: The Investigator



You're independent - and a logical analytical thinker.

You love learning and ideas... and know things no one else does.

Bored by small talk, you refuse to participate in boring conversations.

You are open minded. A visionary. You understand the world and may change it.

At Your Best: You are sharp, inventive, and creative. You have the skills to lead the world.

At Your Worst: You are reclusive, weird, and a bit paranoid.

Your Fixation: Greed

Your Primary Fear: Being useless or incompetent

Your Primary Desire: Being competent and needed

Other Number 5's: Bill Gates, John Lennon, Kurt Cobain, Bjork, and Stephen Hawking.

For the record, I am not paranoid.
Why are you looking at me like that?


4 comments:

Sydney said...

well, if you are a 5 you're in damn good company. Apparently you will become rich and famous too. Then you can use numbers to count your moola -- or you could hire chefs and trainers and get all kinds of surgical tweaks like the people in Hollywood do -- if we all had those resources we'd have boobs like Pam anderson (do we want those?), arms like Madonna (do we want THOSE?), a face like Michelle Pfeifer (I know I want that) and a husband like Demi Moore's.

Until then I guess the only thing left to count are blessings. :-)

I took the quiz and was a#1. It was pretty darn accurate, even though I didn't feel right at all about the choice of answers to at least three questions. Magic I guess.

I love reading your stuff. More please (I'm a #1 and that means I can be demanding at times... lol).

PS:Thanks for your stellar comment on my last post. I wrote something back in the comment area to it.

Robbie said...

"It is a tale told by a chubby idiot, full of math and fury, signifying nothing."

Hey! You said you weren't referring to me but I see right here that you are, damn it.

Somewhat seriously, my recommendation is to skip dinner and go straight for the wine. I think I've lost at least ten of my pounds that way. I'm slowly working on two more but it's getting brutal. I may have to up my wine consumption. :-D

Ha ha ha...my word verification is "solagn." As in....soooooo laggin'

neil said...

Diet is such a dreary word, good for you for not getting totaly sucked into the myth. I say be yourself and be happy, think Robbie's onto something though. More wine can't hurt, though if you insisted, surely vodka has less calories gram for gram. To hell with that...drink up!

MzAmy said...

I was a 9, the peacemaker.

your right, numbers rule.
we are obsessed.

money, weight, how many people like us, how many don't, how many luxery items we have...how many more we need to get, our age...
etc

I have been a little too concerned with my weight. I never did growing up. I was always small. but, after I got married. I gained weight. and I always felt like I was letting the family down. always thought they were whispering..."what a shame, she used to be so small"

you must have been a stick at 105 and 108! I look fine at that weight, because I am barely 5 feet.
Add another 5 inches to that weight. yikes.

When I have been stressed though, i stop eating. I got down to 100.
too small.

numbers, numbers, numbers.....

can't we just be happy with who we
are. whatever number that may be.