Sunday, August 02, 2009

a long and winding road


I actually, finally finished a painting today.

I'd been working on this particular canvas on and off for, quite literally, years now. I've posted pieces of it over the centuries, I think. But it just never seemed to be finished; there was always some element, some signifier that would be missing and would not let me put it to rest, as I probably should have long ago. Until today, when I picked it up, added that which I suddenly knew it needed and voila! C'est complet. I regret that I cannot get a decent picture of it no matter how hard I try, mostly because it was, at one point in it's travels, poorly and unevenly varnished by its creator in a hurried fashion before it was ready, causing it to pick up light and reflection in unappealing ways. And then again, perhaps it won't photograph prettily because it is, in fact, unlovely, an idea which does not displease me overmuch. It always was an unruly child ~ errant, frustrating, even, dare I say it? ~ ill-conceived. But what the hell. It's mine.

I call the picture "Journey," and in the course of those long and winding years it has been on one of it's own. It has undergone considerable revision, both in content and intent, it's direction and execution meandering far and wide, gathering paint, dust and ephemera along its way. Until it emerged to become the thing that it is; dark, dense, and not at all what it imagined it would be when first conceived.
Like life, and most of our journeys. Or so I imagine. This one's mine, for what it's worth. Because I made it so. And no one chooses my path but me.


8 comments:

Cynthia said...

I LOVE it! I mean love, the kind that just grabs you the second you see it.

Gigi said...

Thank you, Cynthia! I'm so glad you like it. To paraphrase a line from 'The Simpsons' ~ ugly paintings need even more love! ;D

Coy said...

I love, love, love, love, love it!
Not unlovely at all actually quite the opposite of unlovely ... sometimes it's difficult to know when things we create are actually complete.
Happy Wednesday GiGi
*** Coy ***

Gigi said...

Aw, thanks Coy! I know what you mean ~ I hardly ever think anything is finished. Why is it so hard to let go? ;D

Robbie said...

I can't wait to see this in person because, no offense, but it does look better in person. The richness of the colors are fantastically warming. This painting has been on a long journey much like the painter, may both be only at the beginning of the path!

What is the new stuff you added? Is it the letters and stuff on the foot? Are those collaged or did you paint them in? Gosh! I can't wait to see it. When's Laguna?

Gigi said...

The added bits are painted and applied ~ and now that I really look at the enlarged details, need some work. So....NOT done yet! :D

I forgot to give you credit for creating the peace symbol BTW, as I meant to do. It so important to give credit for other people's work ~ thank you for adding so much to the piece! :)

Robbie said...

No problem on the peace sign. After all, you're the one who had to correct me so as not to have made it a Mercedes car ornament. Yeah, you know where MY values lie. Or is it lay? :-D

MzAmy said...

ooh gigi.
it's beautiful.
I know, journey.
I have been on a long one.
so, this picture really
speaks to me.

I can only imagine what every
thing in this picture represents
to you. what a story!
LOVE the feet.
you are so very talented.