Sunday, March 19, 2006

alone again, unnaturally

My house is silent and in a melancholy mood. I haven't spent much time alone in the past month or so, and as much as I enjoy these moments I am wistful nonetheless. Mom has gone back home, and seeing her off at the airport was a wrenching thing.

I spent the past couple of days baking Irish soda bread for the annual parties and dinner, this time held on Saturday for the benefit of our observant Catholic friends (and their adoring Jewish husbands,) plans for which were made before the special dispensation. And then, of course, there were the get-togethers themselves. Great fun, all. Well, you know. You've been ~ you've eaten the corn beef and drunk the green beer. But now the Paddy's Parties are over, I've picked the last few pieces of shiny green confetti off the floor and out of my shoes, and I find myself mildly hungover and enjoying the comfort of a little aimless whimsy.

As a girl I loved playing with dolls and never really got over it. Now, thanks to the wonders of technology (and a link from
Robbie, whose current avatar is wearing a really cute tee ~ can I borrow it?) I'll never have to.

So I spent a foolish amount of time a while ago playing in Yahoo and came away with this brilliant new Barbie dol---I mean avatar. I love it. I can't believe I wasted so much time drawing my own.


We are One, my Digital Dolly and I.

Here we are at the St. Patrick's Day Parade ~ but I expect this scene will change shortly. For here, in Yahoo-based space we can change outfits, hairstyles and environments at will, which is more than I can say for the fact-based me, which requires time, effort, a team of cosmetologists and frequently airfare in order to alter immediate reality.

See how excited we are! And how delightedly St.Paddy's Day Dorky! Just like real life. I even gave us a cool pet wolf, which I suddenly realize we have always wanted but my parents, my husband and my homeowners' association would never let us have. But no one can stop me here, by Jove. Stop us, I mean.

We shall call the wolf Strider. Because we are geeks. Or maybe Jack. Because we are indecisive geeks.

So let us go now, Strider-or-possibly-Jack! For we have things to do and dragons to slay. Maybe meet some more Avatars along the way. Say what you will, I find this alternate reality extremely entertaining. I may never go out into the real world again.


And now if you'll excuse me, I think I need to go try on some more hats.



5 comments:

Robbie said...

You like my "loser" tee do you? It's one of my tongue-in-cheek jokes that of course you would catch. :::pause while I sneeze and blow my nose::: As soon as I kick this bug, we'll have to hang. It's been years since I've had soda bread. Save me some will yah? :-)

freeepeace said...

Strider-Jack is gorgeous. Nice to have some alone time once in a while eh? :)

tiny dancer said...

Digital dolly is missing something...hmmm what could it be...hmmmm....OH! I know...granny glasses! It's sorta a trade mark thing...YANNO?

Paul said...

I did one of these once, but I felt that the brown hair would be a lie (s and p not being an option). I prefer your original toons. Is Jack named for Jacl Bauer?

Paul said...

Gigi...Saw Doctors at the Knitting Factory in LA on Tuesday, May 16. Grab the nearest Turk and get there!