Sunday, May 11, 2008

of mush and mojo

I've spent a beautiful and breezy California weekend trying to get my painting mojo back after months of ineffectual doodling. I've been trying to work on portraiture, which as I've mentioned before is not a strong point but something I love. The problem is that I tend to fixate unhappily on a desire to reproduce a precise likeness of the individual, unable to balance that with the more encompassing and interesting emotional aspects of the subject. I need to loosen up. The best artists manage to combine elements of both the objective visual and subjective emotional to create a work that embodies an overarching truth. Today, I achieved neither. Today, I achieved mush.

In searching for inspiration, I came across a portrait I did awhile back of mixed-media artist Betye Saar, based on a picture in an old LA Times magazine. I was drawn to the textures and colors, and the way the then 74 year old grandmother stood out against the background even as her clothing blended in to it. I loved her strong features and regal presence; the substance implied by the weight of her jewelry, the bravura touch of purple in her hair.

I didn't capture it all; I keep using too much water, the whole thing is at once too tightly controlled and overworked; it's evident that I had quite a bit of trouble with the jawline. And yet despite its flaws it's a picture that makes me smile, in large part because the photo was accompanied by a pithy quote by Ms. Saar; one which I admire for it's brave truthfulness, even as I ignore it's wisdom daily:

"There's a freshness about youth..and it's sort of pitiful when you see older women trying to grab on to that instead of holding on to the grace that comes with fading beauty."


It takes a great deal of strength to, in that lovely turn of phrase, 'hold on to the grace that comes with fading beauty.' I am not that woman. I am Woman, Hear me Mush.


5 comments:

neil said...

I have the same trouble with words - sometimes they don't really seem to convey what I want to say, but friends say they get it. Perhaps it all stems from personal perspective and of having had enough to drink! Tea of course.

Lisa :-] said...

I love the quote. Something I need to remember as I work around my bevy of twenty-somethings...

Robbie said...

Why is it we always manage to find the one thing we perceive as wrong with something that we've done and focus on nothing else? Of course, we also have to point it out to everyone before they point it out for us. I would not have noticed anything wrong with the jawline except for your mentioning it, especially at the smaller pixel size.

But, alas, I can relate. Yesterday was a crappy creative day for me. Everything I tried to do came out wrong and not what I wanted to achieve. Oh well! There's a lot of pot holes along the road to learning. As I go along, I hope to learn where they are so I can avoid them later.

Make a mojito and dance with that mojo some more! I want to see more paintings,sketches, drawings, cartoons...etc. :-)

Paul said...

I got my mojo workin', but it just don't work on you...

I really like that portrait, even the jawline. Mary Cassatt did pretty well, and she can't do jawlines or necks at all. Check it out...always a baby's arm, collar or something in the way.

freeepeace said...

Gosh Gigi - it's a beautiful painting. I can't see a single flaw. But then again, we are our own worst critics. You are harder on yourself than most, even.

Me? I'm grasping for youth!!