Saturday, October 25, 2008

going postal

I did it. Yesterday, I voted. And because I still don't trust my vote to electronic machines manufactured by companies owned by avowed party loyalists who have, in their less-guarded past, vowed to "deliver" states to the Republicans, have been known to mysteriously switch votes cast for Democrats and are still hackable within 3 minutes by a fifth grader with a laptop and incentive, I voted via absentee ballot. If this is the modern equivalent of chiseling my choices on a stone and throwing it though the window of election headquarters, so be it. I'm crazy that way.

On local measures, I voted for women's choice and against voiding gay rights. I voted for mass transit and against animal cruelty; for slow-growth candidates and against T. Boone Pickens' ability to buy personal legislation. I would have voted against Arnold Schwarzenegger again but he doesn't seem to be running for anything. Or running anything, for that matter. Is he still in charge around here? Somebody find him and ask.

Most of all, I voted for change. I voted against fear and for hope. I voted for the liberal ideals of the founding fathers as embodied in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States of America.
I voted for a return to fact-based science and compassionate and rational governance. I voted for an end to Bush's War and the corporate hijacking of the ship of state; for a rebirth of global leadership and the respect of nations. I voted for the Republic and for the People.

I feel fabulous.



4 comments:

Paul said...

I can hardly wait. I do wish you had taken Joe to Greece with you for a bit. He is tending toward rhetorical flourishes.

Robbie said...

Have you seen the video of Homer Simpson voting on a touchscreen machine. It is hilarious. Well, on second thought, maybe not so. :-(

Unknown said...

WOOT! Thank goodness we have the right to vote. I also vote absentee for the exact same reasons, so we're sisters in paranoia.

Here's to hope and much-needed change.

=) kris

Robbie said...

I feel pretty fabulous myself. Go Obama!! Woohoo!!