Saturday, November 15, 2008

mama said there'd be days like this

"Honey, I hate to wake you," my husband was saying as he gently shook me awake in the way-too-early-in-the-morning, "but we have a problem."

I groaned without opening my eyes. "What is it now?" It was the house, of course. Doubtless, it was something about the plumbing. It is always something about the plumbing.

"The hot water heater is leaking. It's flooding the garage, I can't turn off the water and I can't find the warranty or the manual."

I moaned. I thrust my toes deeper into the soft sleepy caverns of the covers. I willed the day away.

"It's flooding the garage."

The day remained. I got up.

I located the paperwork in the files and called Sears.

"The
hot water heater is leaking. It's flooding the garage and I can't turn it off."

"Very good, ma'am. Can you hold?"

I could.

"Ma'am? I have you scheduled for an appointment on Wednesday. Would that be convenient for you?"

"No, that would not be convenient for me.
You see, the hot water heater is leaking. It's flooding the garage and I can't turn it off."

"One moment please."

I held.

"Ma'am? I have managed to talk to our router and we were able to schedule you for an emergency appointment on Tuesday.
Would that be convenient for you?"

"No, that would not be convenient for me. Did I happen to mention that the hot water heater is leaking? It's flooding the garage and I can't turn it off."

Silence.

"I have no hot water. I cannot have no hot water for 4 days."

Silence.

"Not to mention the flooding, and all."

"Ma'am? I'm going to put you through to someone who can help you."

"Thank you."

I held.

"Ma'am? How can I help you?"

I went through the procedure again; name, rank, phone number, flood.

"Is there any possibility that you could schedule me an emergency appointment in less than 4 days? Or at least tell me how to turn off the water?"

"Ma'am, I'm going to put you on hold while I talk to a router. Is that alright?"

"It's fine. Thank you."

I held. I held for 5 minutes. I held until there was nothing to hold onto. I held until I was cut off.

Turk called Victor, his favorite go-to-guy for all our plumbing needs. Victor said he was leaving and would be here in 30 minutes. Victor should be on a retainer.

Turk entered the den.

"I smell smoke," he said. So did I. The wildfires were on their way.

Victor arrived and, having ascertained that the bottom had rotted out of the heater, took off to find us a new one.

The fires are getting closer. The air is thick with the acrid smell, and the winds seem to be holding at around 30 mph. The light has that eerie, end of days quality to it, beautiful in its way ~ pink, orange, gold. And then suddenly, that dense, grayish brown. At 2:00 the house was dark. Ash is flying, and my eyes are stinging.

Victor called. He was diverted off the highway by the police into a weigh station. Friends in nearby Yorba Linda called to see if we were OK after seeing our neighborhood on TV. NPR is reporting that people caught in dead still traffic are abandoning their cars not 5 miles from here.

I'm looking on the bright side. If Victor doesn't make it back, Sears will be here on Tuesday. I am really looking forward to some hot water.



7 comments:

Robbie said...

Oh My! That's way too close for comfort. I guess on the bright side a house that is flooded is hard to burn???? ;-p

P.S. Why exactly is it that you think I should become a home owner? Misery loves company - eh?

Cynthia said...

Sounds like it's time for a few serious martinis. Got my fingers crossed for you.

Sydney said...

Oh gigi -- I am writing to tag you, because I think you'd have some very good answers to the exercise. To see what it is come visit my post dated today at A New Yorker in Houston. In an effort to entertain, I may have come out of the closet on a few things, lol.

Maybe this calls for a few martinis.....

Paul said...

After reading this, I drove down to the Quincy house and drained the upstairs pipes. Erin only uses the first floor, and it's going to ne in the 20's tonight.

alphawoman said...

OMG are you alright??

Sydney said...

OMG, look at the sky -- and it's in your neighborhood! I will look forward to an update. Scary, no kidding. And if I have a pet peeve it is definitely those endless, nonsense phone calls where you explain and reexplain the story and get answers that would never fly in real life, face to face as solutions. I wonder how the folks who do that kind of avoiding/inept problem solving as a job sleep at night..

As to your comment to my tag, no worries. I totally understand! I see you've loaded aol and so I will go back and read some back posts!

Gigi said...

Sorry I haven't updated! We're fine; the closest fire was about .5 mile away. I've just been swamped all week on unrelated stuff. Thank y'all for caring! :)

Sydney, I may have made the old blog private out of sheer embarrassment. I'll go check...but please don't feel you have to read it! Most of it is nonsense. And the rest is just plain silly.