Sunday, March 04, 2007

change

On television, my other, better reality, everybody is talking to dead people. Patricia Arquette can't get a decent night's sleep what for all the dudes and damsels in distress banging around her dreams on Medium. Then she has to figure out how to prevent/solve/explain how she knew about the mayhem in the first place. How the woman gets to sleep at all is the biggest mystery. You'd have to knock me out with a mallet.

Meanwhile, over on Ghost Whisperer, spirits are constantly dropping in on poor Jennifer Love Hewitt, causing her false eyelashes to flutter and bosom to heave as she smiles beatifically and sends them on into the light. Or the tunnel. Or Better Place; wherever the hell it is they're meant to go.

And on my absolute drop-dead favorite 'I see dead people' show,
Six Feet Under, the Fisher Family gets to hang with the dearly departed at their clients' very own funerals (cool!) and are occasionally comforted in their you-can-imagine-quite considerable angst by their deceased father, who smokes and jokes and is even able to give them the occasional hug. Now really, is that too much to ask?

One of the wonders of New York are the glories of it's mass transit system, and I will hear nothing to the contrary. On my last day in Manhattan I took the subway to Grand Central and picked up the 1:15 on the LIRR out to Pinelawn Station, which is located right next to the memorial park where my parents are buried.

It was off-peak hours, and I had the car nearly to myself for the hours' ride out to the station. I hiked across the windswept grounds in bitter cold, but the sun was brilliant in a clear, cobalt sky. Pinelawn Memorial Park is a lovely and well-maintained place, peaceful in it's way, and serene. I had an hour to stay, but if I missed the next and last train back to the city, I'd find myself stranded overnight. It wouldn't have been the first time.

After Dad died, Mom and I came to visit here whenever I was in town. I know it brought her comfort. The last time we came together we arrived quite late, after 4:00 pm, because she was always fussing around so much that attempts to get her out of the house before 3:00 were futile. It was cold then too, and dark, and we didn't attempt to leave the grounds until after 5:00. When I drove up to the gates and realized they were locked I did what any sensible person would do. I started shouting.

"Oh my god, Mom! We're locked in the cemetery!"

At first startled, Mom started giggling. "Oh, my!" she exclaimed. And she laughed again. In fact, she was practically rolling.

"Mom, it's not funny! We're going to wind up spending the night in a car in a cemetery! Oh, my god, what am I going to do?" I wailed, driving around frantically until finally finding a caretaker to unlock the gates. Late and lost; me panicking, Mom giggling; this is the story of our lives.

This is the story I wanted to go on. I wanted to laugh with her about it all over again; tell Dad and feel him smile. I stood there over the bronze plaque with her name newly embossed in gold next to his: Ruth 1913-2006. It is brutal in it's finality. I don't know how I could have thought this would make me feel better.

I have not been dealing particularly well with my mother's death, and I thought that a visit to the cemetery would help. There, I thought, I would meditate and find peace. I was going to write that I didn't know what I was looking for, but that's not true. I know what I was looking for; it's just that it isn't quite sane.


I was looking for her. I was looking for a reprieve. I was looking for another chance. I wanted the last year of her life back so I could make it better. I wanted a chat, like Nate and Dave Fisher get on TV. I wanted a do-over.

Of course, what I found was not what I wanted. She is not with me as I sit on the stone bench overlooking her grave, gazing at the white birch that was planted because, she said, it was my father's favorite. She isn't there. He isn't there. They aren't anywhere. The story of their lives has ended; the story of our lives together. And that is what I can't seem to wrap my heart around.

What I know is what I've always known. All life is change. To accept love is to accept loss; to accept loss is to accept pain. To know the one is to embrace the other, and I've spent my life trying to avoid the unavoidable. I need to stop yearning for things that cannot be. I need to accept. I miss them. But I have to understand. This is the end of our story.


10 comments:

Lisa :-] said...

There has not been a time in my life when something on TV didn't seem to be the ideal. When I was a kid, it was Father Knows Best and Donna Reed. What great families those were! They did all the right things, hugged all the right hugs, cried all the right tears.

And now, what I wouldn't give to be able to talk to dead people...

Beautiful writing, Gigi. And I'm right there with you.

Miz Shoes said...

No, no, no. This is not the end of your lives together. This is merely the end of your lives together in the same place at the same time. Jews traditionally name their children after the dead, and that's how the dead person lives on. Not in the name, you understand, but in the stories you are told by everyone who knew or remembers the dead person. You are named for so and so who....

As long as you remember the stories and tell them, either here on this page, or to others at a party when you are feeling maudlin, or to yourself as a bed time story when you are trying to sleep, your parents will be alive.

Sometimes, you just have to say their names aloud so that the universe will vibrate to their energies. So that the universe will remember the souls who passed through it.

My father would have turned 89 on Thursday. I'll have a shot of Canadian whiskey for him, and tell a few stories of the old fart, and cry for not having him here.

But in my head, I'll hear his voice, and I'll know that energy cannot be created or destroyed and so Max will be here with me, somehow, someway.

Not enough, of course. Not here to talk to about politics, or the chances for the Marlins to go all the way, or to give me advice about anything. No. He gave me all the advice he's ever going to, and now I have to give it to myself, in his voice, in my head. And as long as I can do that, then I can talk to dead people.

Cynthia said...

(((((((Gigi))))))

Paul said...

Jayz, that last paragraph is pure rhapsody. Not that it all wasn't lush.

I suppose I am here to forbid anyone from trivializing your grief and acceptance of reality by offering platitudes about being together in the afterlife. I thought at first Shoes was going to do it, but, thankfully, she offered a real way to connect.

I'd shelve the Canadian for Jamison, though.

Miz Shoes said...

Paul, although I agree with you re: Jamison vs Canadian, my daddy drank Canadian. So there you go.

And as for me ever going there with the afterlife crap, well, if you'll excuse the joke: not in this lifetime, pal.

neil said...

I couldn't but help think of Jim Croce's song, Time In A Bottle, it seems apropos of you right now.


'If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day
Til eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you
If I could make days last forever
If words could make wishes come true
I'd save every day like a treasure and then,
Again, I would spend them with you'

I know he wasn't singing about his mom, but so easily could have been. It's so easy to see you adored your mom and you're right, she's gone. Nothing makes that any easier, but time.

I'll send you some real Scotch.

freeepeace said...

Aww sweets. Beautifully written.

I don't have personal experience with death so there's no way I can understand what you are going through.

Just know you are loved...from here to the great beyond -- or where ever the hell it is we're supposed to go. ;)

xo

Robbie said...

I started reading your blog entry the other day but stopped when I got to the part about your mom and you stuck in the cemetary. I knew what was coming and I wasn't ready for it. I deal with grief by avoiding it, mostly.

It hurts me to know that you are hurting so and there is nothing I can do to take it away. All I know about grief is the only way to get past it is to go through it. And that is a crapper!

Honor your feelings and never apologize for them. Oh! And, if it helps, know that you are loved.

P.S. You should be happy to know there is a new show with Jeff Goldblum coming out that you can add to your "I see dead people" viewing line-up.

MzAmy said...

hmm, what can I add...that so many have already have?

nothing.

but, I read.
and I can fathom...but, I can't quite understand. though, I have lost loved ones. just none so dear as my mother. and until then, I will remember, your grief.
your strength. and yes, your humor.

you are a special one.
most indeed.

take care.

Anonymous said...

Gigi K:

what you have to celebrate is that your Mom left a place for you to visit, so that on some level, you may feel a certain connection with her, though deep inside you know that her spirit is not in that place.

Having lost both my parents and a younger brother, I find some solice in visiting their gravesites. Sitting on the ground among the three markers, i would sit and talk...it is therapeutic in some sense; though i will probably choose to be burned to ashes so my family does not feel tethered to a "place" where they can speak to me. Your Mom appreciates your journey. She has always loved your tenderness and attention. There is no closure, just visiting memories.

It is all about the emptiness one feels when both parents have left this earth. Tough to get a grip on it. Their spirits live on through you and your approach to life.

love, Kim