Saturday, March 31, 2007

art that makes you giggle

Nikas Safronov is a genius. Creating an entirely new genre of art ~ let's call it celebrity historical kitsch ~ the Russian artist has made a name for himself with a form of portraiture guaranteed to appeal to the vanity and imagination of high profile egoists everywhere. And me. It appeals to me. I adore this painting. It makes me laugh. And really, isn't that what we ask of all great art? That it make me laugh?

Of course it is.

As detailed in today's issue of the
La Times, (click on 'photo gallery' for more) Safronov re-imagines movie stars, politicians, tycoons and their wives as historical dukes, earls, popes and emperors with a lively brush and (one must assume) even livelier humor. George Clooney grins, impossibly sexy, as an elaborately tressed dauphin while Madonna, consistently self-satisfied, appears as a linen-draped virgin.

Naturally, there are detractors.

"There are dozens of gifted and talented artists in modern Russia, but Nikas Safronov is certainly not one of them," fumes Marat Gelman, a Moscow art critic and gallery owner quoted in the Times article.

Well, sure. But how many gifted and talented artists are this laugh out loud funny? Or would think to paint themselves as Renaissance lords or Franciscan monks?



The practice is not without precedence; Rembrandt made use of historical costumes and props for himself and his sitters back in the 17th century. But it was the 17th century. And he was, you know, Rembrandt.


More importantly, Safronov will happily paint you and me as Renaissance lords or Franciscan monks. And I am here to tell you, we need this.

I think I might like a portrait of myself envisioned as
Madame de Recamier, or perhaps Artemisia Gentileschi. Maybe I would like to appear as an elaborately-coiffed courtesan of the medieval period, or a pearl-draped Queen Elizabeth I. Or a wench. A nun might be fun. Or even Catherine de Medici. I'm not sure. Clearly, I need to give this some thought.

And so should you. I firmly believe that everyone should have one of these hanging over their fireplace. It would serve to keep us humble ~ imagine taking your latest rant against foie gras or the evils of excessive corkage fees too seriously under a dramatic image of You as the Emperor Napoleon ~ and certainly your dinner parties will never want for conversation again as your guests feast their eyes upon your own personal version of this:



So go ahead and ask yourself; who would I want to be? George and I dare you.

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

I love these! And I want one too! I know they're not Renaissance, but I think Mme. du Barry or Mme. Pompadour would be a good choice for me, some bewigged French courtesan who got rich by whispering the right words in her royal lover's ear (while doing various other things).

Robbie said...

Your links aren't working. Too much "http" going on but I worked it out.

First, I'd like to see GW as the court jester. Oh Wait! I already do.

Secondly, I'd like to be "Lady Godiva." For the chocolate, I assure you.

Darn! I better start growing my hair out again. I'll need A LOT.
:-)

Gigi said...

Oops! How many years and I still can't link? You were right about the http's ~ thanks.

I saw W as a Jester too! In fact, it immediately appeared, unbidden, to my mind's eye when I read the piece. Cheney has to be Machiavelli and Karl Rove would make a wonderful Savonarola...

Mmes. du Barry and Pompadour would be great fun! And the beauty of being Lady Godiva is that it's so easy to grow hair and reshape when it's just a matter of a little paint... ;)

neil said...

You can't be serious...'a nun might be fun', I think the rhyming word you were looking for might be glum. Stick with the wench.