Monday, March 19, 2007

I've got a right to sing the blues

The Irish Blues
by Pat Donohue

Well I woke up this morning
I got outta bed

my face was all ruddy
my hair was all red
And my eyes were all swollen
I thought I was dead
I woke up today with the Irish Blues


I haven't been around for a couple of weeks because the hubs and I have been busy cleaning, polishing, painting, shopping and even doing a little remodeling in honor of our turn to host the annual St Patrick's party for Turk's merry band of golf buds and their wives.

I try to be good
but faith and begorha
I go to bed laughin'
and wake up with sorrow
and what do you bet
it's the same thing tomorow
I tell you my friend
it's the Irish Blues...


I'm happy to say it went really well. At least everyone seemed to be having a blast. A party's only as good as the friends who gather, and you couldn't ask for a lovelier, livelier group of people.

Well now I'm a grown man
And just like my daddy
I like to go out on the feast of St Paddy
And take on the ways of a much younger laddy
And wake the next day
with
the Irish Blues...


You know a party was a success when you wake up to find the food gone, the bottles empty, the silver in the sink and a football in the fireplace.

Well last night
the Guinness was flowing
and last night
we really got going
with singin' and dancin' I couldn't refuse
I woke up today with the Irish Blues


I spent yesterday enjoying the memory of the evening before, still vaguely high and in partial recovery with NPR, where I heard this wonderful bluesy little number on Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion. I'm committing it to memory and singing it next year. The gang says we're hosting again. We've decided to take it as a compliment.

Yes and last night
the Guinness was flowing
and last night we really got going
with singin' and dancin' I couldn't refuse
I woke up today with the Irish Blues

Sing along here...
(Fast forward past the greetings, about 3 minutes or so in.)

7 comments:

Miz Shoes said...

Brilliant!

Robbie said...

That song is perfect just like your hostessness. I do believe I recall that you hosted last year too. I'd suggest you get a new set of friends but that might require something more of me come Thanksgiving and I'm not up for the task. :-)

P.S. I can't believe they made a movie out of that program. Everything between the music is B-O-R-I-N-G. No offense to those who enjoy it. :-D

neil said...

Nothing like a good party. Was a football in the fireplace a goal or a point? (I'm thinking Gaelic football here.)

Paul said...

I don't understand
What makes it so hard
When I start off ta'home
Someone hands me a jar
Next thing I know
They're callin' "Last Call"
It's them Irish Blues
Headin' me for a fall.

Gigi said...

Thanks, Miz Shoes! I'm thinking of writing a song for the models of ANTM. I'll call it 'The Airhead Blues.'

None taken but Robbie, I LOVE that program! I shudder to think what that says about me... ;D
We haven't hosted St Paddy's in 4 years ~ you must be thinking of another holiday; Arbor Day maybe. We like parties.

You know, in keeping with the spirit it could have been Gaelic football for all I know, Neil. Nobody's admitting anything... ;)

Brilliant Paul ~ see, that's what I love about the Irish ~ write and perform your own lyric at the drop of a hat! Or the pull of pint. ;D

Anonymous said...

Gi:

OMG! I forgot to ask about your party! Any event you host has to be a success...who can resist your effervesence and wonderful laugh and smile? (spell check)

Ah...too personal for a blog.

St. Paddy's day was my Mom's special day. Irish to the bone and named Patricia. I have yet to find a St. Kim's day. Perhaps when we get together next we shall declare that day as such. Or not.

love

Gigi said...

He-ay Kim! There is no sentiment too personal for a blog; trust me on this.

I've done some research and find that St Kim is the patron saint of Power Blondes who Secretly Long to be Rock Stars. It is traditionally celebrated with copious amounts of chardonnay, broccoli pasta and karaoke. And coincidently, St Kim's Day is ...next Saturday! Be there or be square.... ;D