Saturday, April 14, 2007

the answer

"Listen: We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different"
~ Kurt Vonnegut

Farewell to a profoundly generous and heroically empathetic man. He was funny, sad, brilliant, sensitive, accessible, lonely and complicated ~ qualities that add up, in the course of a lifetime, to represent the depth of human wisdom.

And somehow, thinking about it now I suddenly realize that I have no desire to waste this glorious bright gift of a day sitting here in front of the dead white light of my computer screen, reading the tributes of others and growing old in my chair.

"The main business of humanity is to do a good job of being human beings, not to serve as appendages to machines, institutions, and systems." ~~ 'Player Piano,' 1952

The answers are, and always have been to my mind, fairly straight forward. To thine own self be true. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Do a good job of being a human being. Damn it.

So ponder the mysteries of the universe if you will. I, my friend, am off to do some serious farting around.




(* pearls before swine)

And so it goes.

5 comments:

Robbie said...

I'm confused by the asterisk. Are you calling me a pig?

I was sad about Kurt too. I still haven't read all the books of his that I have. So, for me, he'll live a little longer. :-)

Note to self: Have G. write my obit.

Cynthia said...

I want to go play too, just fart around until I forget there's anything else to do or until I can treat everything like just farting around. By the way, you also get to write my obit.

neil said...

I'm not ready to drop off the mortal coil just yet, but I'm standing in the Gigi obit line as well. Could be a career change for you, or maybe granite etchings for the tombstone that sum up a person's life, a chef's knife and pot for me!

neil said...

Um, not the smoking kind.

Paul said...

Kurt has become unstuck in time. I hope he finds eternal Boko-Maru.