Sunday, April 29, 2007

bizarro new world

Oh my god. This is so strange. After backing up some files to CD on my old (I think) virus-infected Dell, I bought a new computer. It's an HP something or other ~ by the time I had listened to the happy parade of fast-talking 22 year-olds with Dell, Best Buy and Fry's I was so addled and glassy-eyed that I just handed my credit card to the last guy I encountered and begged him not to hurt me. Good thing he worked for the store.

Which is all pretty exciting, or should be, except that this new model is running Windows Vista, with which I am unfamiliar. The first thing I did was to accidentally run a file backup program, which completely filled my D disk and immediately triggered messages that I'm low on memory. Wonderful! Right back where I started. I can't tell if I managed to delete it or not. Nothing looks right or functions the same. Where are those happy little geeks when you need them?

I don't even know how my start up screen functions, and I'm afraid to check and see if I'm still compatible with my digital camera or MP3 player. I haven't tried the media programs yet. Although it's really nice to up-and download in seconds rather than minutes. I love my tight little new keyboard too, although I've no idea about some of these hieroglyphics. Is that a hyperlink key...?

Anyway, I just came here to check the blog before I do any further damage. I must say, it is very different from the one I'm accustomed to seeing. The pictures look smaller and the page seems bigger. Everything appears somewhat distorted. My sidebar-self seems to have gotten shorter and a little wider ~ not unlike my actual self, come to think of it. How dare Virtual Me mimic the more unappealing aspects of Reality Me? Most inconvenient. I think I'm getting the vapors.

This is all too much for me. I've been challenging what's left of my brain all day. Time to fly the martini flag here in Luddite Land. I bet there's a key for it somewhere here on the board. I wonder what this pretty crescent moon thing does...

6 comments:

Lisa :-] said...

I am in need of a new computer too, but I have absolutey no intention of getting one with Windows Vista on it. I have heard nothing but bad things about it... I'll bet that makes you feel better, doesn't it Gig?

Wil said...

Crescent moon = sleep mode.

Right click on the Start Button, click "Properties" and click on "Classic Start Menu", Apply and then OK. That'll have you and your desktop back into semi-familiar territory. You can switch back anytime you are feeling adventurous by doing the same process -- no harm, no foul.

Good luck and enjoy the new machine.

Gigi said...

Thanks, Wil! :)

alphawoman said...

Yay!! your back on the info highway! I want a new computer and this one is only three years old. I hate AOL now that I do not pay a ransom for it. This morning I was 20 minutes trying to turn off the computer and re-boot it (old techie lingo that is more than likely out of date) Finally I gave up and just pulled the plug. Some mornings I just log on with Comcast and enter AOL that way. Sometimes I just ignor AOl. Why so I still even mess with AOL!! A new computer is so heavenly.

neil said...

Yay for upgrades! Well at least I hope your new machine gives you some of your life back...

Robbie said...

Look at the bright side: Your cartoony self is drinking a wider martini, probably stiffer too. ;-)