Tuesday, September 23, 2008

have bags, will travel

pearls before swine

When I was a kid growing up in New York I loved to lay on my back in the thick, fragrant grasses of our freshly mown lawn, where I would contemplate the clouds and listen to the buzz of various insects as they swooped in, inspected me for signs of dinner or danger, and flew on. Whenever a plane would break my lazy reverie, gliding regally across those bright summer skies I would watch it intently until it disappeared, wondering where it was
coming from, where it was going, and wishing with all my young heart that I was on it.

My husband, who knows me best, knew me well enough even on our first date to woo me in a red leather booth in a dark downtown bistro, plying me with rare steak, a heady Cabernet and amusing anecdotes about eating lizard sandwiches with an elderly ex-pat in Mexico, and dreams of drinking kava while cruising the Nile aboard a tramp steamer bound for Africa. I'd never heard such tales or drunk such wine, and
as I listened to this charming, erudite man I sensed that perhaps I had finally met my match. He had me at "tramp steamer."

Of course, after dating awhile I found out that he hated red wine, didn't care much for steak, and wasn't all that keen on that particular restaurant. Men. But the stories were true, as was his heart, and over the years we have been lucky enough to satisfy much of our mutual wanderlust.

Lately, however, family and health concerns have been keeping us close to home, and we haven't been able to stray very far afield for the past few years. So I'm thrilled to be able to say that, at long last and after a number of false starts we're happily planning a trip to Greece:
Athens, Mykonos, Naxos, Santorini and Rhodes. I don't know where else. Crete, we think. Delphi, if there's time. Turk likes to travel 'by the seat of his pants.' I like to make reservations. But all I know is that I can hardly wait. I'm ready, I'm not ready; there's so much to do and so little time. But I'm so excited, I'm up at 6:00 am ~ I know! And I'm not even just getting home in a cab! I'm giddy as schoolgirl. Because I've never stopped staring up at every passing plane, willing myself on it. Soon, I will be.

So as they say in Greece... well, I've no idea what they say in Greece, frankly. I bought a Grecco/Anglo dictionary and it looks like a 3500-word combination of Egyptian hieroglyphs and Esperanto. Suffice it to say, it's all Greek to me. Suffice it to say, we are going to get very, very lost. Very, very quickly.

So let's just call it ciao.

Ciao for now!






8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your passing reference to Esperanto may suggest that it has become a living language Can I therefore suggest
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8837438938991452670 or http://www.lernu.net

Saluton - Brian Barker

Anonymous said...

Great post! i really enjoyed reading it :) hey i also found a new site that i think you will really like, baraaza.com

Sydney said...

Can I tell you you will LOVE mykonos! The water there is so blue and clear down to the bottom even if you're floating in a boat 30 feet from the bottom you can see that sand and all the fish inbetween you and it.

It's also so salty, you can float effortlessly, your feet sticking up as well as your head when you're on your back. I had a friend who bought tomatoes and stood thigh deep in the water off the beach and just dunked his tomato and took a bite -- that's all the salt he needed.

I ate at a place that put a table and chairs on the sand at the edge of the water so by desert, my bare toes were getting kissed by the tide. You drink uzo (which is horrible, like licorice gasoline, and by the end of the night, everyone is dancing with their arms around each other , circling through the restaurant or bar, and in deed, they smash the plates!

Pompeii is pretty cool and is on a neighboring island if you feel like stopping by.

Sydney said...

howdy! Saw on TV the other day that the hottest hotel in Mykonos is called Mykonos Blue. You may want to be escaping from such trendy stuff, but it looked beautiful and may be worth a drink in the lobby bar just for the experience....

Paul said...

You mean Turk won you without having to resort to phony sensitivity ("Sorry if I seem depressed. I hit a squirrel driving over here, and I can't get it out of my mind")? Jayz, you were easy.

That's a trip IO've long lusted for. Have an ouzo for me.

neil said...

I'm a reservation kinda person too and I once travelled around parts of Europe with someone who was more like Turk, very unsettling it was, but everything worked out fine. Sounds magical and not just a little romantic, hope you both have a great time.

Robbie said...

:::running around like a mad woman:::

Hurry!!! AOL-J is burning. Burning I tell you! And, where are you? Off having fun! Our economy has collapsed, OJ is going to prison, and...and...people are spamming your comments, and oh so much more.

Darn! I should have written down the dates of your trip because I keep thinking..."is she back yet?" Just like I kept typing..."have you left yet?"

Robbie said...

:::said with a whimpering whine:::

Are you back yet?? waaaahaaaaaa