Wednesday, August 22, 2007

cranky update

My Dear Jon letter just came back from the Post Office marked Undeliverable: No Mail Receptacle. I mailed it to the store address. I cannot find another.

It must be stated for the record that it says clearly on the bill that "Generally, it is not our policy to refund or exchange purchases. However, in the event that a refund or exchange is approved, a 15% restocking fee will apply."

It is our contention that an exchange was approved. Unfortunately, I started yelling at the "customer service rep" as soon as the words "We never agreed to exchange the platform free of charge, but I can give you a discounted price of $150 on one..." were out his mouth.

"Well, now you're just lying!" I sputtered, adding "this is outrageous!" and, "I can no longer deal with you!" at a very unladylike volume before handing the phone to my husband, who listened silently and closed with, "I'm going to contact Consumer Affairs and get back to you."

Now I find that dear Jon hasn't even read of my righteous, if sputtering anger, and I cannot be trusted to get back on the phone without flying off the handle. Turk refuses to place a call, saying that they have already made their decision clear and, as they are not legally obligated to make good on their offer of a fair exchange there is nothing more we can do.

He is right, of course.


Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc.
1 Ashley WayArcadia, WI 54612WI
Tel. 608-323-3377

Ron Wanek, Chairman

August 19, 2007

Dear Mr. Wanek,

I am writing to you regarding a recent negative experience we had in making a purchase at your [southern California] location.

We had occasion to buy a full-sized mattress and box spring for our guest room bedroom on August 2, 2007. Soon after receiving the delivery, it was clear we had made a mistake; not only was the mattress (a Simmons Sleeper’s Choice, Wyden Plush model) not two-sided , as we had thought, but the box spring caused the bed to sit too high on the headboard, which is a vintage mid-century design and considerably lower to the floor than contemporary styles. The headboard simply disappeared behind the mattress.

Knowing that the height issue was the result of our mistake, we fully expected to have to pay a 15% ‘restocking’ charge and lose the cost of delivery. The mattress set is in the guest room, and as yet unused. What we did not expect was to be treated with such contempt by the customer service department.

Not only were we consistently lied to by the salesman, the ‘co-owner’ Jon and his ‘customer service’ representative regarding a lot of nonsense about state law forbidding such returns, but we were told that an offer made by Jon to substitute a lower platform for the mattress at no additional charge never happened. In my experience, it is not good business to call your customers liars and cheats.

I understand that each store is individually owned and operated. I am writing to you because we were unable to get satisfaction from the individuals with whom we were dealing, and because as founder and chairman you may have interest in the public face of the company you founded. It benefits no one when customers are insulted, and complaints allowed to go unresolved.

Enclosed is a copy of the letter sent to the local owner, to which there has been no reply.

Sincerely,



4 comments:

Lisa :-] said...

G--

Did you pay for this thing with a VISA? If you did, contest the charge. They might sit up and take notice really quick if they don't get their money.

We did this with Home Depot years ago when we ordered a french door that ended up being crooked in the frame. We contested the charge, it was reversed, and Home Depot NEVER contacted us. So, we didn't get a new door, but we got the defective one free...

Robbie said...

Hey, this all sounds vaguely familiar. Have you resorted to plagerizing your emails?

I'm beginning to side with Turk here. Perhaps for your sanity's sake you should drop the cause and go have a drink with me. :-)

Gigi said...

Thanks Lisa! But although I paid for it with AMEX and they're always good about this sort of thing, I know that these guys are not going to let me off and legally I haven't got a leg to stand on. Unlike yours, my product isn't defective. Only my judgement.

Robbie ~ Yes and great idea! :D You name it, I'm there...

neil said...

Okay, to fund your drinking session with robbie, which sounds like it might go on for a little while, might I suggest you sell the mattress on eBay. Oh, and have a drink for me.