Monday, August 20, 2007

on becoming a crank

It has been said that while one satisfied customer will tell 2 or 3 people, a dissatisfied customer will tell 10 or 12. A dissatisfied customer with a blog will tell....OK, in my case I'm still just telling 10. But it feels good anyway.


open letter to Jon, co-owner - Ashley Furniture Homestore


August 16, 2007


Dear Jon,


As I have been unable to reach you by phone, I wanted you to know that I have contacted the Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Home Furnishings regarding the law cited by you, your salesman and your 'customer service' representative that you cannot accept returns on mattresses and/or box springs; I believe the words your rep used were that he "cannot even have them in the warehouse, legally."


This is patently untrue. There is no such law in the state of California. The law does require that you sanitize and relabel such returns before re sale, but there is unequivocally no law that states that you cannot take them back. Frankly, when asked about the validity of your claims the Department of Consumer Affairs representative laughed out loud. While I understand that you do not wish to lose any profits from a sale, presumably the restocking fee is designed to be at least partial compensation for such a return. But the premise that you can't accept a return by law is one thing; the fact that you do not wish to is quite another.


I find your business practices slick and misleading. What we were asking for is fair and reasonable. Furthermore, to be told by your representative that you never offered to exchange the platform without further charge is, as we all know, untrue.


Needless to say, my husband and I are very displeased with your company, your service, and your level of commitment to your customers. I hope that this meager sale was worth the considerable ill will it has created. Having been in business myself for over 30 years, I somehow doubt it very much.

sincerely,




3 comments:

Lisa :-] said...

Well, that pretty much says it, doesn't it? Wonder what you will hear back, if anything...

alphawoman said...

Customer No-service at its best. I have found in the past five years, maybe 10, that customer service is almost nonexistent. I had a service company for my air cancell my appt and not notify me, then said they had to take care of their "real customers". I contacted the BBB and they contacted the company...who did not reply to either of us. Sigh...this is the world anymore.

Paul said...

You have redefined the "Dear Jon" letter.