Friday, January 16, 2009

the fitness blog can hardly keep its eyes open

Last night was date night and yet somehow uneventful ~ no movie, just a couple of Blonde Ales down at the local brew pub, a shared mini pizza and then off to a chain restaurant for a bland tilapia in an overly sweetened pineapple mango salsa. There were a couple of glasses of wine of a distinctly box-like vintage. All in all not a brilliant evening but, as Turk never tires of telling me, we are in the midst of a recession and beggars can't be choosers. Appropriately enough, we were home in time to watch The Office. It all seems hardly worth breaking a diet for. In fact, as dates go this one was pretty unimpressive, from a calorie-countish point of view. Frankly, I don't know if I should even keep seeing this guy. Still, he does make me smile...

Someone sent me this today, and you've probably seen it as well. I don't know who the author is but it's certainly apt and far more clever than I this evening, so in it goes.

Twas the month after Christmas,
and all through the house,
Nothing would fit me,
not even a blouse.

The cookies I'd nibbled,
the chocolate I'd taste
At the holiday parties
had gone to my waist.

When I got on the scales
there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store
(less a walk than a lumber),
I'd remember the marvellous meals I'd prepared;
The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,
The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese
And the way I'd never said, "No thank you, please."

As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt
And prepared once again to do battle with dirt...
I said to myself, as I only can,
"You can't spend a winter, disguised as a man!"

So, away with the last of the sour cream dip.
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip.
Every last bit of food that I like must be banished
Till all the additional ounces have vanished.

I won't have a cookie, not even a lick.
I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.
I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie.
I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.

I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore...
But isn't that what January is for?
Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.
Happy New Year to all, and to all a good diet.

~~~~
Today
~~~~

gym:

precor: 3.59 miles 45 minutes
treadmill: 1.66 miles 22 minutes

total: 5.25 miles

Breakfast: coffee
grapes 100

Lunch:
grapes 60
apple 60

Happy Hour: oh, the love of...it's Friday! What am I, made of stone?
2 lite beers 180

Dinner: big salad

lettuce 45
onion 40
tuna 300
10 olives 90
1 tbs rice vinegar dressing 20
salad subtotal 505

daily total 905 calories

But, am drinking a glass of wine as we speak...so + 110.

Damn, that adds up.

Diets suck.


net/gain loss since Thursday: -.5

8 comments:

Strategicus said...

great blog

Robbie said...

Any man that will smell your feet and still remain faithful is oh so worth keeping.

I did not even eat dinner last night - just a handful...or two...or three...okay four...of buttered popcorn and a glass of wine - or two. And, I've lost nothing! I'm at a total of five since the start! You have pulled ahead in the race.

Love the poem!

Sydney said...

Love the date descriptions. Would it be ok to ask-- well I guess I can ask, you just get to decide about answering... How long have you been seeing each other?

I have NOT heard that poem and wonder how it's author knew exactly what I did in the last few months.

Gigi said...

Sydney ~ forgive me my little joke! I've been seeing this guy for 26 years, but I've been married to him for 23. ;)

I find I am a lot more tolerant of dull dates as a wife than I ever was a girlfriend. :D

Sydney said...

girrrl, I left yo a comment back on my blog.

I took out a little of my answers, I don't want to sound that way to anyone. Besides that I love your writing and sense of humor, and your paintings and talent for pictures, I can't get close to being able to exercise as long and hard as you do or eat 800 calories a day. I have signed on to read and could never do that. If I still lived in LA I would have tried to get you out for a martini or a spring water or a yoga class or something long ago.

I've come to learn that we're all pretty much the same, underneath all the details....

Sydney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sydney said...

PS: Wow! 26 years is COOL! I only have a year and a half under my belt, going on 4.5 years together.

I know cheap and dull are not the same thing, but I've always been a fairly cheap date, lol. A movie in my PJ's (not on the couch, going TO the theater in them) and I'm happy. If you give me Reeces, I'm happier.

OK, I've only gone in the equivalent of PJ's -- like sweats and a fuzzy sweater or soemthing-- but it is my goal in life to be able to go about my day in PJ's as much as possible... easy to do while working from home.

Gigi said...

Oh no! Sydney, I hope you didn't take anything out of your answers! It's so important to just be who you are and not let anyone else influence what you write, especially half-assed commenters like me. Once you do, it never ends. You're accomplished ~ that's beautiful! I only meant that I admire you. I'd love to join you in a martini...well, perhaps I'll have two, maybe then I won't be so tongue-tied...;D