Tuesday, January 27, 2009

good news/bad news


It was a good news/bad news kind of weekend.

The good news is that it was
great, full of food, friends and frivolity; exactly the kind of thing Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays were invented for. Possibly Thursdays. Wednesdays would be too much, we must all have our limits, what is wrong with you?!! Therefore I do hereby declare Thursdays to be the Weekend Wild Card. All weekends shall begin with an optional Thursday. Forthwith.

After a Friday night pasta-making party for which I made some high-calorie appetizers (bacon, salami and cheese, oh my
!) I hit the highway early Saturday for the LA Art Show at the massive Staple Center with a fellow art and fun-loving pal. We sailed across town on the wings of angels and arrived just in time to spend the next 55 minutes sitting around trying to get into the parking garage. C'est LA.

But the day was beautiful and the exhibit,
featuring top notch galleries from around the nation, was comprehensive. We wandered among paintings and sculpture for hours, seeking inspiration in everything ranging from early French Impressionist oils to the latest in contemporary mixed-media objects, including some oddly executed, dubiously conceived student work (I'm looking at you, giant pink papier mache' penis in a guillotine!) So comprehensive was the show that it even furnished its own occasional celeb sightings; I am quite certain I nearly made eye contact with Ted Danson, who is lookin' mighty fine if indeed it was him. And if it wasn't, well, someone is keeping themselves up very nicely. Kudos to you, Tall, Tanned and Silver, whoever you may be.

After the show we hit the deliciously old-school Palm restaurant for dinner and drinks and one last hoorah before settling in for the long bleak breadlines to come. I had the Mahi Mahi, half the Gigi Salad (truly ~ how could we not?) and several loaves of bread (little known fact; art appreciation is an inexplicably carby-hardy endeavor. No really, it is...beauty burns bicarbo...oh, stop judging me!)

So what I'm saying is, it was all pretty terrific, which is good.

But I'm also saying it was seriously terrific, and my diet is trashed. Which is bad.

I'm screwed.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Talkin' trash: Monday
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Breakfast: black coffee

bunch of grapes 110

Lunch: I swear I just forgot

Dinner: 1 bowl Campbell's chicken vegetable soup: 100
leftover salami and cheese: 400 calories? 500? 6? who knows? who cares? it's over. I'm sad.

And yet, to quote Lenny from 'The Simpsons' as he plunged to a likely death over the cliff, "I regret nothing
......!"


Daily total: 700 ~ 800 ~ 1006 calories

~~~~~~~~~~

yoga 1 hour

treadmill: 2.05 miles 24 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~

net weight gain/loss since last Monday: +3 lbs.

OK. I regret that. I regret that a lot.

4 comments:

Robbie said...

Six Feet Under! How could I forget Joanna Cassidy was also in that show.

Back when I wasn't a silver fox, I partied every day but Wednesday. I think it is a written rule of the hip set to do so. However, the hip replacement set has a different set of partying rules that I am struggling to comprehend. I mean seriously who uses pepto as a cocktail mixer! ;-)

Sydney said...

Have I mentioned how great your posts are? Funny, witty vunderbah you Gig.

What was IN the gigi salad?

I felt like I was right there at the exhibit with you. I wish you'd have at least taken a picture of the penis for us...

You be eating 800 calories a day and burning 10, 000 at the same time so your diet can in no way be ruined. It's a mind blowing success and I have been humbled -- leveled -- at your reports. I am a mere mortal and would never have been able to do this.

neil said...

Penis is a guillotine. I'm guessing there's a girl out there somewhere feeling slightly used...

Robbie said...

Hey update this diet journal already. I need to know where I stand. I ended January with a total of 9 down but that last 1 keeps creeping back. Darn it!